FLORENCE — South Carolina farmers can learn the latest research-based information needed to grow bountiful crops at the 2018 Clemson Pee Dee Research and Education Field Day Sept. 13.
The field day gets under way at 8 a.m. at the Pee Dee REC, 2200 Pocket Road, Florence. (For GPS directions, enter this address: 2200 Pocket Road, Darlington). Matt Smith, resident director, encourages everyone who has an interest in agriculture to attend.
“We have a full agenda of various topics to cover during the field day,” Smith said. “These topics include crop breeding, variety trials, soil management and more. Participants also will be given a tour of our facilities so that they can learn more about research we do to help South Carolina farmers grow more productive crops.”
Topics and speakers for the day include:
- Using Turkey Litter Ash as a Fertilizer – Phil Bauer, USDA research agronomist,
- Aquaponics – Lance Beecher, aquaponics, aquaculture and fisheries specialist,
- Corn Earworm Resistance to Bt Corn – Thomas Bilbo, Ph.D. candidate,
- Breeding Grain Sorghum for High Yield and Resistance to Pests for Statewide Growers and End-Users – Rick Boyles, small grains breeder,
- Long Term Insurance Coverage for Cotton Production – Todd Campbell, USDA research geneticist,
- Weed ID and Management – Matthew Cutulle, weed scientist,
- Breeding to Improve Soybean Production in South Carolina – Ben Fallen, soybean breeder,
- Identification and Management of Insects Important in Cotton – Jeremy Greene, entomologist,
- Cotton Variety Trials – Mike Jones, cotton specialist,
- Vegetable Production at the Pee Dee REC – Tony Melton, county Extension agent,
- Sugarcane Aphid Management in Grain Sorghum – Francis Reay-Jones, entomologist, and
- Managing Cover Cropping to Improve Soil Structure, Soil Productivity, and Soil Health –Rongzhong Ye, soil scientist.
The field day is scheduled to end at 1 p.m. Admission is free and lunch is provided. For information, contact Jonathan Windham at 843-519-0487 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in touch and we will connect you with the author or another expert.
Or email us at email@example.com