Safety is a top priority at Clemson University for students, faculty and staff. Members of the campus community should remain informed of the guidelines for operating and properly securing electric scooters (e-scooters) and other designated micro-mobility devices.
When parking e-scooters and other micro-mobility devices, consider the following:
- E-scooters and micro-mobility devices are restricted from being inside any Clemson facilities. This includes academic buildings, residence and dining halls and other University facilities. Parking e-scooters inside presents fire, safety and accessibility hazards.
- E-scooters and other micro-mobility devices found inside any University facility or improperly parked in places other than bike racks may be impounded at the owner’s expense. Contact Parking and Transportation Services if it has been determined that an e-scooter or micro-mobility device has been impounded.
- E-scooters and micro-mobility devices must be secured outside of University facilities at bike racks. If using e-scooters and micro-mobility devices, have a plan for properly securing it.
- E-scooters and other micro-mobility devices are not permitted inside Parking and Transportation Service vehicles, including University Tiger Transit buses.
Users should also practice the following safety steps when operating e-scooters and other micro-mobility devices:
- Follow the same rules as operating a bicycle by obeying the same traffic laws. This includes using designated bike lanes and observing proper traffic safety procedures.
- Go with the flow of traffic and yield to pedestrians. Riding in tandem is not recommended.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, particularly regarding pedestrians and vehicular traffic. It is advised to avoid wearing headphones or earbuds while operating an e-scooter or micro-mobility device.
- Just as with operating any vehicle or micro-mobility device, driving defensively and riding responsibly is important.
- Wearing a helmet is also recommended for added protection while operating an e-scooter or micro-mobility device.