Safety remains a top priority at Clemson University for students, faculty and staff. As a new academic year approaches, members of the campus community should review the following guidelines for operating and properly securing electric scooters (e-scooters) and other designated micro-mobility devices.
Devices restricted in Clemson facilities
- E-scooters and micro-mobility devices are prohibited from being inside any Clemson facilities. This includes all on-campus housing, dining halls, academic buildings and other University facilities. Parking e-scooters inside presents fire, safety and accessibility hazards.
- Charging of e-scooters and micro-mobility devices is prohibited on campus. Devices cannot be taken inside any Clemson facility for charging. Charging stations are not available.
- E-scooters and other micro-mobility devices are not permitted inside Parking and Transportation Service vehicles, including University Tiger Transit buses.
Properly secure your device
- E-scooters and micro-mobility devices must be secured outside of University facilities at bike racks.
- If using e-scooters and micro-mobility devices, have a plan for properly securing it.
Violations may result in impounding
- E-scooters and other micro-mobility devices found inside any University facility will be removed and impounded at the owner’s expense.
- Devices improperly parked in places other than bike racks may also be impounded.
- Contact Parking and Transportation Services if it has been determined that an e-scooter or micro-mobility device has been impounded.
Tips for safe operation of e-scooters and micro-mobility devices
- Follow the same rules as operating a bicycle by obeying the same traffic laws. This includes using designated bike lanes and observing proper traffic safety procedures.
- Go with the flow of traffic and yield to pedestrians. Riding in tandem is not recommended.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, particularly regarding pedestrians and vehicular traffic. It is advised to avoid wearing headphones or earbuds while operating an e-scooter or micro-mobility device.
- Just as with operating any vehicle or micro-mobility device, driving defensively and riding responsibly is important.
- Wearing a helmet is also recommended for added protection while operating an e-scooter or micro-mobility device.