The President’s Office will present the Martin Luther King Jr. Awards for Excellence in Service at the 40th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration on Tuesday, January 18, 2022.
Three awards are given annually in these categories:
- Clemson University student (Undergraduate or graduate)
- Clemson University employee (Faculty or staff)
- Clemson Area community member (Anderson, Oconee or Pickens counties)
Please help by nominating deserving individuals who exhibit excellence in service in one or more of the following areas involved in advancing Dr. King’s vision of the “Beloved Community”
- Service to Clemson University or the surrounding community
- Advocacy for social or environmental justice
- Service above and beyond direct employment
Dr. King’s definition of the “Beloved Community” will be helpful in considering your nominations. He said it is “a community inclusive of all people, regardless of race, gender, class, ethnicity … a community that recognizes people as individuals first, each with a unique set of life experiences that shapes their particular perspectives … a community where varied perspectives are brought together in a collective effort to achieve goals for the common good.”
The recipient of the student award will receive a $500 cash stipend. Other winners will be able to direct a grant of $500 to the campus or community organization of the recipient’s choice. Each will also receive a personal plaque and be recognized on a permanent plaque showing past winners.
All nominations should be submitted by using the online nomination form no later than Dec. 3, 2021.