Clemson University’s updated Lactation Support Policy, effective June 27, provides resources for lactating faculty, staff and student employees. The revised policy ensures compliance with the federal “Providing Urgent Maternal Protections” (PUMP) for Nursing Mothers Act.
The updated policy reflects amendments made by the federal PUMP Act, which went into effect June 27, 2023. The University’s existing Lactation Support Network previously placed Clemson in compliance with many of these amendments.
- Employees/student employees must be completely relieved from duty when taking a break to express breast milk or the time taken to express breast milk must be compensated as work time.
- Clemson University will make reasonable efforts to provide employees with a lactation room to express breast milk, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and the public.
- Employees can notify their employer if they believe the employer is out of compliance with the PUMP Act. Employers have ten days from that notification to come into compliance. After that, employees can make a claim of liability against the employer. Employees and student employees should send notices of noncompliance to the Office of Access and Equity at email@example.com.
- Employees and student employees who anticipate the need for lactation support in the workplace should initiate a request before the birth of a child. Those needing lactation support should direct requests to the Office of Access and Equity at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clemson University proudly promotes a family-friendly work and study environment for employees and their infants. Through the Lactation Network, Clemson strives to offer clean, private spaces for lactating employees/student workers to express breastmilk. The Lactation Network webpage shares dedicated lactation rooms across campus. The webpage also provides additional resources related to breastfeeding.
- Questions regarding the location of a room or to request/remove a lactation room from the Lactation Network should be sent to the Office of Access and Equity at email@example.com.
- Questions regarding lactation times, breaks, and/or pay should be sent to the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.